Cayambe and Glacier School Express
6 days – 4 mountains
Ecuador´s third highest mountain (5790 m/18,991 ft.) and the highest summit of the Andes range at the north of the equator.
Is located 70 km / 43 mi north east of Quito, is an active volcano with unique characteristics such as: the only place on earth where the equator line directly “touches” snow and a permanent glacier and the highest point on the surface of earth where the equator line directly passes.
Its enormous glacier and easy access makes the perfect “playground” for our mountaineering and glacier school.
If you are considering an introductory-brief mountaineering course plus a less frecuented mountain this program might be a good option.
- What is included?
- Packing list
- All year round season
- Home of impressive highlands wildlife
- Gradual acclimatisation peaks
- 4 mountains
- All ground transportation in private vehicles
- English-speaking professional ASEGUIM/UIAGM Mountain guides.
- Meals conform itinerary (B=breakfast, BL=box lunch, D=dinner)
- Entrance fees to all national parks and reserves
- Accommodations in hotels while in cities based in double occupancy
- Domestic and/or international flights
- Airport taxes in Ecuador when leaving the country
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Extra transportation or other activities
- Excess baggage fees
- All items of personal nature
- Personal mountaineering gear such as sleeping bag, trekking poles, etc.
- Other personal expenses
- Additional accommodations not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tours or other activities not indicated on the itinerary
- Insurance (we strongly recommend you to get one)
- All drinks
Physical Conditions Technical Conditions
This case generally applies to our mountaineering trips where the effective walking hours exceed six and can be extended up to nine hours round trip. Technically speaking, these activities generally occur in areas covered with snow and glacier where technical mountaineering equipment is mandatory.
Duration: 6 days
Access: Drive in and drive out
Pre-requisites: Hiking experience
26 Nov.-1 Dec./2018
Reccommended packing list
You will need a sleeping bag for the huts (there are mattresses).
In the case of traveling light there are in Quito several mountain climbing outfitters where you can rent equipment like mountaineering boots, crampons , ice-axes, harnesses, helmets, etc. but we strongly recommend to bring, at least, your own boots.
Most technical and group equipment, such as: ropes, snow pickets, ice screws, etc., will be provided if you travel with our guides.