Avenue of the Volcanoes
12 days - 5 mountains
Sun and Snow offers you a 12-day itinerary where you will experience high altitude mountaineering and a good blend of easy acclimatisation hikes. During the Avenue of the Volcanoes Expedition you will stay in a wide range of accommodations including historical haciendas and cozy country side hostels.
The Volcanoes Expedition is not only an excellent mountaineering experience, you will also observe the daily life of the Ecuadorian Andean region.
- Tour Hightlights
- What is included?
- Packing list
- Good introduction to high altitude mountaineering in the Andes
- Guide ratio of 1:2 on Cayambe, Cotopaxi and Chimborazo
- Certified guides and instructors ASEGUIM / UIAGM with local and international experience
- Diversity of ecosystems
- Five summits
- All ground transportation in private vehicles
- English-speaking professional ASEGUIM/UIAGM Mountain guides.
- Meals conform itinerary (B=breakfast, BL=box lunch, D=dinner)
- 11 breakfast
- 11 box lunch
- 6 dinner
- Special or vegetarian meals can be arranged in advance
- Accommodations in huts while in the mountains based in shared rooms
- 1 night in a country side hostel
- 2 nights in Baños
- 3 nights in mountain huts (Cotopaxi 1/Iliniza 1/Chimborazo 1)
- 3 hotel nights in Quito
- Entrance fees to all national parks and reserves
- Accommodations in hotels while in cities based in double occupancy
- Domestic and/or international flights
- Airport taxes in Ecuador when leaving the country
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Extra transportation or other activities
- Excess baggage fees
- All items of personal nature
- Personal mountaineering gear such as sleeping bag, trekking poles, etc.
- Other personal expenses
- Additional accommodations not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tours or other activities not indicated on the itinerary
- Insurance (we strongly recommend you to get one)
- All drinks
Physical Conditions Technical Conditions
Refers to the longest mountain routes and physically more demanding but not necessarily the most technical. The total number of hiking hours exceeds nine and can reach up to twelve between climbing to the summit and returning to the mountain hut or camp. It is also necessary use ropes, crampons, ice axes, ice screws, etc.
Minimal Requirements: Good physical condition, being able to walk at least 5 hours, previous basic mountaineering experience, mountaineering at high altitude (above 4500 m/14,760 ft).
What to expect:
Temperature ranges from 20 Celsius to minus 10 Celsius on the top of Cotopaxi and minus 15 Celsius on Chimborazo.
Iliniza Norte: Some rock scramble, short rock climbing, dealing with fixed lines, rock fall hazard, eventually use of crampons.
Cotopaxi: 8 hours or more on glacier with mountaineering boots and crampons, some crevasses, glacier travel, early departure and ascent in the dark.
Chimborazo: Some black ice at the traverse. Due to glacier melting unstable rock up to 5600 m/18,360 ft. Good cramponing skills is a must.
Reccommended packing list
You will need a sleeping bag for the huts (there are mattresses).
In the case of traveling light there are in Quito several mountain climbing outfitters where you can rent equipment like mountaineering boots, crampons , ice-axes, harnesses, helmets, etc. but we strongly recommend to bring, at least, your own boots.
Most technical and group equipment, such as: ropes, snow pickets, ice screws, etc., will be provided if you travel with our guides.